Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thesis?

Having surpassed the halfway point of this co-op quarter, the realization that I graduate in about half a year is hitting me hard....especially the fact that I will begin work on my thesis in January. That being said, I have begun to brainstorm some possible topic areas...this year, we have an overall "theme", which right now is loosely titled Intimacy. Really, the focus is the connection that we have with products as well as the way that products can connect people. I think this is a good topic because it really focuses on emotional design, which I am really interested in.

So far I have two major concept areas: Kids (no suprises there) and Music.

Possible starting points:

KIDS
-heath: toys to promote health, encourage and educate healthy living. I like this idea but I think it is kind of overdone...maybe there is a new way to approach?
-connectivity: Maybe a system for connecting children in hospitals that are bedridden? Or play therapy?
-kids+music: product/toy that allows music creation/customization, self expression and creativity. "connect" with others to make a band....character based?
-exploration/nature: toy/product to encourage this. Geocaching specific GPS? digital nature log?

MUSIC
-exploring how we buy music...is the CD/album art dead? Is there a product that music can be connected to to encourage sales? I really love having something physical from my music, and I don't want to see the creativity that goes into CD packaging go away.
-How do we enjoy music? headphones, mp3 players, stereos....how can these be improved, altered, changed to create a new product?
-Again, music creation. Is there a "mixer for dummies" or something that anyone can pick up and create beats and mixes?
-karaoke. 'nuff said.

These are just a few initial thoughts, posted here more for me so I remember them...but if you have any comments or think any of these thoughts stand out, leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. hey sylvia!

    The character-based music toy that connects kids to other kids who are interested in the same thing really stood out to me. Look at how successful being able to connect with friends around the world on the PS3, xbox, etc. is!

    ReplyDelete