Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's about the little things...


As I near the end of my school career and begin the job search, it becomes extremely evident that there is a lot more to being an awesome designer than being able to sketch or churn out an awesome render. You may be saying, "Well duh, Sylvia....everyone knows that!" but sometimes I think people underestimate some of the little things that you can do that can set you apart from the competition. Therefore, I give to you...

MY SIMPLE TIPS FOR STANDING OUT IN THE CROWD AND GETTING AHEAD IN LIFE!


1. Be on time!

This one seems so easy to me, but people seem to have a major problem with it. Want to make your boss frustrated? Consistently show up late to meetings...it sets everyone back and cuts into productivity. I always think of it this way...am I going to upset anyone by arriving on time or a little early? Probably not. But if I am late? Many times it won't matter...but someone who is consistently on time will gain a lot more respect than someone who is consistently late.

2. Be respectful!

You never know who you may meet in life, and where that connection will take you. With all of the newfangled technology the world has to offer, (yes, newfangled!) it is just as easy to make connections as it is to break them. Watch what you say as well as what you do (in person AND on the net!)...you never know which of your classmates, friends, or colleagues you might need to ask for a job someday.

3. Be professional!

I think in school we tend to be too casual, especially in presentations and in class. If you are constantly cursing and being inappropriate in class or in your workplace, people are not going to respect you or take you seriously. You might even be making others feel uncomfortable! No one wants to hire someone who is going to make other employees feel uncomfortable. Someone who dresses nicely and presents their work in a serious and compelling manner is going to leave a greater impression on their classmates and coworkers.


I'm not saying I am perfect at all of these rules...but I observe that people who embody these qualities get a lot further in their academic and professional lives than those who may have more talent, but are unprofessional and disrespectful.

2 comments:

  1. Syl, I'm not sure what prompted you to post this, but I totally agree. Sometimes I think that seniors should go in and talk to the co-op class about how to be a good co-op and have a positive experience... a lot of it comes down to attitude(!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree...i think many things brought this on, one of them being what raphael said in class the other day about being professional...also just thinking about getting a job and marketing myself to companies...and the fact that you and I went out to lunch with Dom and make an effort to network with our employers. ive just been mulling over the "little things" a lot lately!

    ReplyDelete