Monday, February 9, 2009

Thoughts about Innovation

Innovation is kind of a tough thing to define, because everyone has different ideas about what innovation is. For me, it boils down to one major point...

An innovative product makes sense: it is easy to use and doesn't over complicate.

I have seen a lot of products that people claim are innovative because they present a product in a new and different way, but I think that there is more to being innovative than just the "new and cool" factor. In the end, the thing has to work, and it has to make sense.

Sometimes I get frustrated by innovation, because I think that I am forced more to think about creating something totally new than just creating a good product. I understand, though, that the "new and cool" is what sells a product and makes it valuable to the consumer... I just think that sometimes things like usability and human factors get lost in the quest for innovation.

In the end, it is important to realize that innovation can take many shapes, whether it is a different form, an ergonomic grip, new technology, or a completely new invention.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Sylvia. I totally agree with your point about trying to create things that are somehow "new and cool". It especially applies with the HP studio; while we are designing a future computer, that future is only 4 years away. Therefore, for a project like this, I think that you're right...usability, human factors, etc. can be innovation.

    km

    ReplyDelete