Thursday, January 15, 2009

The ultimate teaser

One of the things I actually like most about going to movies is seeing the trailers....especially when one takes me by surprise as much as the trailer for "Cloverfield" did.



When I first saw this trailer, it made me ask questions. First was, "Is this a trailer?" The party scene with its hand held camera work, no well known hollywood stars...it felt strange for a big-budget trailer. Then all of the sudden, things start happening. Explosions, flaming flying objects....and then the Statue of Liberty's head in the street. The whole time, I am thinking, "What is this movie?! Is it a monster? Alien? Freak natural disaster?" The trailer ends, and it doesn't even tell you its name: only the release date... 1-08-08.

This trailer is effective because it sparks conversation and questions. I don't even remember what movie we saw that night....everyone was talking about the "1-08-08" trailer. What was the movie about? What is the movie's real name? All we really knew is that it was a JJ Abrams project (the guy behind Lost) so I joked that it probably didn't have an ending...hah.

I admit when I went and saw the movie, I wasn't expecting much...by that time (almost a year later, if I remember correctly) the buzz was over and everyone kidna of knew what to expect. But I still found the movie enjoyable and suspenseful.

No comments:

Post a Comment