Tuesday, January 27, 2009

what is good design?

I could write a list of a thousand things that make a good design, but I will narrow it down to the three things that I appreciate most in a good design:

1. It's simple. The best designs keep only what you need, and throw everything else away. This usually results in a more beautiful and poetic form. I like these new external hard drives from Seagate...they are simple, beautiful, and personalized by color options.2. It's emotional. Naturally, people will feel more drawn to a design if they feel some sort of emotional attachment to it. One good way to do this is to be inspired by nature. I like this rug design because it looks like moss, reminding me of the outdoors and bringing a little bit of nature into the home. Some might not like this, and may actually feel a negative emotional response!

3. It captures an element of fun, surprise, or unexpectedness. Not suprising coming from me, but I like designs that make me laugh, smile, or say "oh how cute!" This element really can distinguish a product (and the user of the product) from the rest of the crowd. This bunny vase is funny and unexpected:




As I move forward in my design career, I am going to try to do a better job of embodying these rules in my designs!

1 comment:

  1. You worded it so well I don't see how I'm going to write my own!

    (btw ur right. That rug would probably freak me out.)

    ReplyDelete